Thursday, December 18, 2014

Glass Top Stove: Cleaning a severely baked on mess!

Glass Top Stove: Cleaning a severely baked on mess!


This is my cook top with a section showing where I haven't cleaned it.


At our current home we have a glass cook-top stove.  I inherited it with a severely baked-on mess!  I have tried a number of times to clean it without success.  I once spent an entire morning scrubbing on it to no avail.  What a frustrating situation!  I've tried baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, specialty cleaners, all with limited results.  I've even scraped on it with a kitchen scraper -- that's how it got as "good" as it is in the uncleaned section in the photos.  Believe me, it was much worse when I started on it!

I was complaining to a friend about my predicament, and she suggested some other specialty cleaners that I haven't tried.  However, we live in a remote area near a fairly small town, and special products are difficult to locate.  I did some searching on the internet and a couple of articles discussed baking soda and vinegar with a utility knife to scrape off the burned on guck.  As I mentioned, I tried that, but it didn't work very well.

Fast forward to last night.  I felt impressed to spray quite a lot of window cleaner onto the baked-on mess on the glass cook-top.  I know that glass spray cleaner isn't all natural, and perhaps just the vinegar would have worked the way I did it; but this is what I felt I needed to do.  I sprayed it on before bed so that there were little puddles on the burner and left it over night.  When I got up in the morning, I re-wet it by spraying it with vinegar and went away for about 45 minutes or so.  When I came back, the burned on mess was softened enough that I could scrape it off fairly easily with the blunt side of a table knife, (aka butter knife.)  


As you can see from the photo, I was able to scrape off two significant sections of the severely burned on mess on my glass cook-top stove in only about 10 minutes.  This is a very do-able solution!  I sure hope this helps someone else who has a very dirty glass top stove.


No comments:

Post a Comment