Monday, December 14, 2015

Cream of Spinach or Whatever Soup for One

Cream of Spinach (or Whatever) Soup for One







Cream of Spinach (or Whatever) Soup for One


This recipe is low carb and gluten free.

I wasn't feeling well one day and had been doing a liquid fast.  I was ready for something with some substance but that wouldn't be heavy on my tummy.  I had the idea for this soup concept since I had a big pot of venison broth cooking on the stove.  My intention was to make Egg Drop Soup, but what happened was Cream of Venison Broth Soup instead!

I modified the method slightly to add the spinach.  Other vegetables could be used instead of the spinach, but it's so yummy and easy on it's own.  Just dice the vegetable that is desired and use it in place of the spinach.  Mushrooms, onions, scallions would all be great.

Cream of Spinach or Whatever Soup for One
Makes one serving

Heat approximately 1 cup of homemade broth in a small sauce pan.  Alternatively, a high quality commercial stock can be used.  Add approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach or other suitable vegetables.  Cook over medium heat until the spinach has softened.  If using other vegetables, they will need to be cooked until they are soft.

In the mug, add 1 or 2 eggs and stir them briskly until they are well combined.  Add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons pastured butter.  I use the Kerrygold brand.

Slowly pour the broth and spinach into the mug, stirring constantly with a fork or small whisk.  If it isn't stirred constantly, the result will be a clumpy Egg Drop Soup, which isn't bad, just not what I'm going for here.

Season to taste with sea salt to taste.  Everything Seasoning or Adobo are also great!  (For SCD do not use Everything Seasoning.)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment