Saturday, September 26, 2015

Simple Hummus

Simple Hummus


Simple Hummus

This is a very straight-forward recipe for hummus dip.  All of the recipes I found called for canned chickpeas, (garbanzo beans), but I didn't want to use canned beans.  I ended up just "winging it" and figuring it out on my own.  I like the way it tastes.  I hope you do, too!

Cover 2 cups of raw, dried, garbanzo beans, (chick peas), with about 4 cups of water and allow them to sit over night.  In the morning, pour off the soaking water and rinse the beans.

Place the beans in a small pot.  Pour another 4 cups of water over them and add 3 cloves of garlic to the water.  Cover and cook the beans for about 3 hours or until they are tender.

Allow the beans to cool.

In a food processor, place 1 cup of the cooked beans, without juices.

Add*:

1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning (I make my own.  Recipe here.)
1/4 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (I use California Olive Ranch brand, as it has been shown to be pure olive oil.)

Process the beans and seasonings until the mixture is smooth.  Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the beans, as necessary.

Serve with veggies or use as a spread.  It makes a delicious dip!

*Note:  I doubled this recipe and added 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed meal while processing.  It turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment