Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Chocolate Juice-Pulp Quick Bread

Recently, I've been juicing, and I'm very frugal.  I don't like to waste anything, especially food.  For me, the juice pulp is one such thing that I don't want to waste.  I've come up with several recipes, and this Chocolate Juice Pulp Quick Bread is the most recent.

The last Juice Pulp Quick Bread I made was made with regular sugar as a gift.  However, since I'm going to be eating this one, I made it with no added sugar.  Instead, I used coconut sugar and xylitol.  Both have negligible impact on blood sugar levels.  This is my first experience with xylitol, by the way.
Remember, when using juice pulp, be sure the pulp goes with the recipe.  For instance, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use the pulp from peppers in this recipe.  However, they would be fine in the Pulp Burger recipe.  Also, be sure and run the pulp through the juicer twice so that it's well ground and as dry as possible.  In this particular recipe, I used carrot, celery, apple, and cranberry pulp.





Chocolate Juice-Pulp Quick Bread

Makes 1 loaf

Pre-heat the oven to 350F.  Spray a loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray, and set it aside.


In a mixing bowl combine  well:


1 1/2 to 2 cups juice pulp (see paragraph above for explanation)
1/2 cup coconut sugar

1/3 cup xylitol (or 1/2 cup sugar equivalent)1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or olive oil)
(Or instead of the coconut sugar and xylitol, you could just use 1 cup regular sugar)

Add and mix well:


2 eggs

1/3 to 1 cup water (add water until the batter is smooth enough to spread in the pan.  It will vary depending on how moist the pulp is.)

Add and mix until combined:


1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Smooth the top with the back of the mixing spoon.


Combine and sprinkle over the top of the batter:


2 teaspoons xylitol

Bake the prepared dough at 350F for about 50 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted off center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack or tip it on its side while in the pan till cool.  Serve warm with butter, or wrap in plastic wrap and chill before slicing.  Makes a nice home made gift!  

No comments:

Post a Comment