Thursday, November 20, 2014

High Protein, Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake

Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake



Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake

I was wanting something both high fiber and high protein for breakfast.  I pulled the ingredients out that I was interested in using and mixed them together.  My daughter walked in while it was cooking and asked, "What's that?"  To which I replied, "I don't know!"  Well, once it was done and I tasted it, I decided it was definitely a pancake.  I spread some all-fruit spread on it and enjoyed it as such.  Since that first time, I've decided that I really like it topped with all-natural peanut butter, sliced bananas, yogurt and just a bit of light agave nectar (or honey for SCD.)  Oh so decadent, but not!  Also, I really think this would work out just fine as a waffle.  I haven't tried it yet -- if you do, please let me know your results.

High Proten, Low Carb Flax and Coconut Personal Pancake
Serves 1

In a bowl mix well:

2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Add and mix well:

1/4 cup ground flax seed meal (use almond flour for SCD)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut -- mine was pretty finely shredded, not the big chunks that are called shredded, but neither was it finely ground.  I'd say, "medium grind."
2 packets Stevia based sweetener* (1 tablespoon honey for SCD)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon



Pre-heat a small frying pan with 1 tablespoon coconut oil.  Pour the batter into the pan as soon as the oil melts.  

Cover it and cook it over medium low heat for about 3 minutes or until the top of the pancake can be touched and it's no longer sticky.  Flip it over and let it set up for another 30 seconds or so.

Place the pancake onto a plate and top as desired:  Sugar free syrup, peanut butter and jam or jelly, (Peanut butter and honey would be great for SCD), etc.

*Note:  This would be good without toppings, too.  Use an additional 2 packets stevia sweetener, (or and additional 1 tablespoon honey for SCD), in the batter. 

As I said, I put all-fruit spread on mine the first time I made it.  Subsequently, I've decided I really like the decadent version pictured below.

 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment