Friday, October 2, 2015

Soft Boiled Eggs, aka "Eggs in a Bowl with Toast," Gluten free version

Soft Boiled Eggs, aka "Eggs in a Bowl with Toast," Gluten free version




Soft Boiled Eggs, aka "Eggs in a Bowl with Toast," Gluten free version

My mom always served me soft boiled eggs with toast when I was sick as a kid.  I serve it to my kids when they are sick.  They have always called it "Eggs in a Bowl with Toast."  With this low carb option, I can enjoy one of my family's go-to comfort foods, too. 

In an effort to eat low carb, gluten free recipes are back into my way of eating.  As I mentioned in this post, I'm also trying to increase my intake of healthy fats in an "easy" way.  Additionally, I'm trying to eat my eggs minimally cooked for optimal nutrition and easier digestion.  This recipe meets all those goals.



"Eggs in a Bowl with Toast"

Prepare one batch of Stove Top Quick Bread.

Heat a small sauce pan filled with water and 1/8 teaspoon salt to the boiling point.  Using a slotted spoon, add the desired amount of eggs, (pastured, organic), to the cooking water and turn the heat down so the water is just simmering.  Cook uncovered for about 4 minutes.  This will cook the whites and leave the yolks runny.  

As the eggs are cooking, put about a teaspoon each of butter and coconut oil  into the bowl out of which it will be eaten.  Once the eggs are cooked, drain off the cooking water and cover the eggs with cold running water.  This allows them to be able to be handled without burns.  Hold a cooked egg and tap it with the cutting edge of a table knife, in order to break the shell.  Split the egg apart, allowing the yolk to run into the prepared bowl.  Using a spoon, scoop the egg out of the shell into the bowl and add salt to taste, (Everything Seasoning is great here!)  Add broken Stove Top Quick Bread (or toast if wheat is okay), to the eggs in the bowl and stir to cover.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment