Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

About being frugal...

What does it mean to be frugal?  Is being frugal being a cheapskate?  Is it being a dumpster diver or what??

Here's the dictionary.com definition of frugal: (3) not wasteful.

That's it!  Frugality is simply not being wasteful.  Sure, there are other definitions, if you want them; but I don't.  The way I mean being frugal is simply not being wasteful -- using what I have on hand to make what I want to make.

How does this apply to my recipes?  My recipes  nearly always start with what I have on hand.  I might need to pick something up from the store if I want to make something special like Egg Rolls, (which will be coming, I assure you!)  However, most of what I make just comes from what I have on hand and from my heart <3

Today, I found myself with a couple of very ripe bananas.  I, also, have a whole lot of sour cream on hand from a donation.  That got me thinking...  Sour cream + bananas = Sour Cream Banana Bread!  





Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf

This is a delicious, all natural, reduced sugar treat.

Pre-heat the oven to 350F.

In a mixing bowl, combine:

~1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 medium sized bananas)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
4 packets Truvia-type sweetener
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid -- if necessary warm it to above 72F for it to become liquid)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I make my own, Here is the recipe)

Add:
2 eggs, lightly beaten 

Mix the above ingredients until they are combined, then add all at once and stir until just combined:

2 cups whole wheat flour (pastry type preferred)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Finally, add:
1 cup chocolate chips (I had dark chocolate, but any would be fine, even carob.  Also, 1/2 cup chips would be sufficient.)

Spray a 9"x5" loaf pan with olive oil cooking spray.  Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.

Topping:

In a small bowl combine:

1/3 cup whole wheat flour (as above)
2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil (as above)
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
4 packets Truvia-type sweetener
Pinch sea salt

Distribute the topping evenly over the batter.  I had to use my hands and break it up into clumps.

Bake the bread at 350F for about 45 minutes, or until it is firm to the touch.  A knife test won't work because of the chocolate...

Remove the bread from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes, then tip it up on its side to cool completely.  Remove the bread from the pan and slice it as desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment