Saturday, September 6, 2014

Fix Me Up Blueberry Smoothie


Fix Me Up Blueberry Smoothie


I don't know about other people, but when I travel, my system gets all "out of sorts."  This concoction was designed to help put me right again.  Each item is chosen for its health benefits.

Health benefits of the items in the smoothie:

Eggs:  Protein and many vitamins and minerals
Blueberries:  Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber
Coconut:  Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and fiber
Flax seeds:  Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and fiber
Yogurt:  Protein and calcium
Ice cubes:  Water hydrates the system
Aloe juice:  Soothing to the digestive system
Stevia -- the "Truvia" type sweetener:  Helps normalize blood sugar
Apple cider vinegar (the type with the "mother" in it):  Alkalizing, normalizes blood sugar, anti-inflammatory
Ginger:  Alkalizing, normalizes blood sugar, anti-inflammatory
Cinnamon:  Alkalizing, normalizes blood sugar, anti-inflammatory
Vanilla extract (real vanilla, not artificially flavored.  I make my own, recipe here):  Antioxidant



Fix Me Up Blueberry Smoothie
Makes 2 servings

In a blender container place the following ingredients:

2 eggs 
1/4 to 1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup shredded coconut*
1/4 cup flax seeds*
1 cup no sugar added yogurt (I would have preferred unsweetened, but the cashier forgot a bag of our groceries!  Oops :(  )
1 cup ice cubes
1/2 cup aloe juice (I get mine at WalMart in the pharmacy department)
2 packets (or to taste) "Truvia" type sweetener
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (the type with the "mother" in it.  Again, my WalMart carries it)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

*Note:  The flax and coconut make this smoothie a bit "chewy," but since I'm doing it because I'm out of sorts; it doesn't bother me.  They can be left out if it's an issue.  Also, if obtaining any of the non-essential ingredients is difficult, simply omit them.  This is a very flexible recipe!

Blend well.  I always run the blender a second time to be sure the ice is all crushed up.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment